- A primary ID must be presented to the Acceptance Agent. The ID must be issued more than 6 months ago from the application date.
- Provide a copy of the legal document to show the name change if your ID and legal name do not match.
- Provide as many forms of ID as possible if your ID issue date is less than six months ago. The U.S. Department of State may still ask for additional proof of ID.
- If you do not have a long form birth certificate, you can order yours here.
Primary Forms of Identification
Previous U.S. Passport Book or Card
Driver's license older than six months
Government ID: City, State or Federal
Supplemental Identification Documents
- Supplemental Identification Documents can be provided if you do not have the primary identification documents listed above.
- Unfortunately, there is no guarantee the U.S. Department of State will accept these documents so make sure you supply as many as possible.
- Documents with your photograph, signature and/ or physical description are particularly helpful.
School Yearbook Photograph
Employment Identification Card
Government Identification Card
Student Identification Card
Selective Service Registration Card
Union Membership Card
Health Insurance Card
Marriage Certificate or Divorce Decree
Overseas Birth Record
Voter Registration Card
Miscellaneous ID Cards
Birth Certificate with Parent Listed
Mortgage, Lease, or Rental Agreement